Sunak denies racism playing any role in British PM race


banner img

LONDON: Conservative Party leadership contender Indian-origin Rishi Sunak has said that he knows he is behind UK foreign secretary Liz Truss in the British PM race but he does not think racism is to blame for that. Sunak said this in an interview with the Daily Telegraph.
Sunak was born in the UK to a Kenya-born Hindu Punjabi father, who has ancestral roots in Gujranwala, now in Pakistan, and a Tanzania-born Hindu Punjabi mother with family roots in India.
Gujranwala-born Conservative donor Lord Ranger recently said that Britain will be seen as racist if Sunak loses the leadership election while The Times quoted Sunak loyalists at the weekend saying Sunak was a victim of a “bit of latent racism” from members.
“I absolutely don’t think that’s a factor in anyone’s decision,” Sunak told the Telegraph. “I just don’t think that’s right. I was selected as a member of Parliament in Richmond… Our members rightly put merit above everything else. I’m sure when they are considering this question, they are just figuring out who is the best person to be Prime Minister… Gender, ethnicity and everything else will have nothing to do with it.”
During his opening speech at the first hustings in Leeds, Sunak had said the Sun had been shining so much on the campaign trail that someone had complimented him saying, “Wow you have got a great tan”, which sparked laughs from the audience.
Sunak told the Telegraph he felt the issue of him raising taxes was dominating the contest too much and he was not getting the chance to talk about his vision for Britain, which included encouraging business to invest in new machinery, equipment and research and development, reforming capital markets after Brexit to get money flowing to fast-growth companies, reforming the NHS and making sure that every British child receives a world-class education.
Yet Truss has been in the lead ever since the battle for UK PM switched from the House of Commons to the wider party membership.
Betting exchange firm Smarkets gives Truss a 90% chance of succeeding Boris Johnson as Prime Minister while Sunak’s chances of winning the Tory leadership race have crashed to just 10%.
Sunak and Truss are currently taking part in a six-week hustings tour to persuade some 200,000 Conservative party members, of whom only a tiny percentage are Indian-origin, to vote for them.

FOLLOW US ON SOCIAL MEDIA

FacebookTwitterInstagramKOO APPYOUTUBE





Source link

Related posts:

Coronavirus : Alert Issued To States Regarding New Variant B11529, Instructions For Strict Investiga...
Up Assembly Election 2022 Ghazipur Youth Ki Baat Coverage News Updates In Hindi - Up Election 2022: ...
Rajiv Yuva Mitan Club will be formed in Chhattisgarh Rs 132 crore spent on youth till 40 years bhupe...
Minor girl was gang raped for months got pregnant police registers case and held one accused nodvm
Delhi Weather News Light rain may occur in Capital today Mercury likely to dip to 5 degree Celsius b...
UP Assembly Elections congress issues list of star campaigners including kanhaiya kumar in up vidhan...
Samastipur railway purnea court steam engine last steam locomotives of India
American Startup Better Dot Com Ceo Fires Over 900 Employees Over Zoom Call Company Gave This Reason...
Cm Yogi Visit Varanasi Said Send Message Of Kashi Vishwanath Corridor Inauguration To Whole World - ...
Up Board Exams 2022: Why Go Mills Away Coaching Or School To Prepare For Board Exams, When Your Succ...
Mha issued orders to states and uts make all these preparations to deal with omicron
Mp govt SIT formed in the case of hemp marijuana sale on Amazon CAIT welcomed NODVKJ
Kundali bhagya sanjay gagnani continues shooting after being injured in fight scene with dheeraj dho...
Ghum Hai Kisikey Pyaar Meiin 7th dec written update sai misses virat
Greater Noida को नए साल से मिलेगा गंगाजल, खत्म हुआ 16 साल का इंतजार, जानिए प्लान
Minor girl was kidnapped and was subjected to gang rape all 3 accused have been arrested nodmk8

Leave a Comment